By Cassie Jewell, M.Ed., LPC, LSATP
Disclaimer: Some posts contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a list of resources for therapists. Please share with mental health professionals who could benefit!
Please check back as I update regularly. If you have a suggestion, use the contact form on this site.
Armstrong, C. (2015). The Therapeutic “Aha!” Strategies for Getting Your Clients Unstuck.
Buchalter, S. I. (2017). 250 Brief, Creative & Practical Art Therapy Techniques: A Guide for Clinicians and Clients
Rosenglen, D. B. (2018). Building Motivational Interviewing Skills: A Practitioner Workbook, 2nd ed.
- Series: The PracticePlanners Series
- For additional recommendations, see Must-Read Books for Therapists.
Websites & Blogs
- ACEs Connection | An ACEs community for connecting with others who practice trauma-informed care. You can also access the latest news and research related to ACEs; this site also has a huge resource section with guides, surveys, webinars, and more.
- ACT Mindfully | A variety of free worksheets, handouts, book chapters, articles, and more. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) is a unique and creative model for both therapy and coaching; a type of cognitive behavioural therapy based on the innovative use of mindfulness and values.
- App Advisor from the American Psychiatric Association | Guidance on mental health mobile apps
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies | Info and clinical resources, including archived webinars and podcasts
- Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors | Tools for mental health professionals
- The Centre for Applied Research in Mental Health and Addiction – Tools and Resources | The Centre for Applied Research in Mental Health and Addiction (CARMHA) is an internationally recognized research centre based at the Faculty of Health Sciences, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver. CARMHA conducts innovative and interdisciplinary scientific research related to mental health and substance use, primarily in the areas of clinical or other intervention practice, health systems and population health and epidemiology. Access free downloadable workbooks for stress in the workplace, depression, coping with chronic pain, and other topics.
- Character Lab | A collection of “playbooks” for character-building in children
- Collaborative Mental Health Care: Child & Youth Mental Health Toolkits | Assessments, handouts, resources guides, links to relevant sites, and more
- Compassion Fatigue & Healthcare Professionals: An Online Guide | Resources for coping with compassion fatigue
- Confident Counselors | A collaborative blog written by school counselors, school psychologists, and school social workers
- Counselling Resource | A resource site for mental health professionals and consumers. Includes interactive assessments, free PDF printables, and information related to online practice and clinical supervision.
- Counselor: The Magazine for Addiction & Behavioral Health Professionals | Blog posts written by substance use and mental health providers
- Education4Health | The resource section includes a variety of PDF booklets, guides, and workbooks
- Evidence-Based Behavioral Practice | Information on evidence-based behavioral practices: includes tools, assessments, videos, and free online training modules
- Expressive Art Inspirations: Free Expressive Arts Learning Library | A collection of creative art techniques
- Expressive Therapist: Group Activities | A list of ideas for groups of children, teens, and adults
- Family Echo | Free genogram program
- Guided Self-Change | A great resource for SUD assessments, group materials, and handouts
- Get Self-Help – Free Resources | This website provides CBT self-help and therapy resources, including a large collection of worksheets and information sheets and self-help mp3s; a useful tools for therapists or individuals seeking to manage a mental health condition.
- The Helpful Counselor | Resources for school counselors
- National Center for PTSD for Professionals | Free handouts, toolkits, online trainings, and more
- Personality Lab | Articles, assessments, dissertations, etc. on personality intelligence
- Positive Psychology Program | This site contains a wealth of free assessments, PDF printables, activities, handouts, worksheets, and more. Search by category or browse blog posts.
- Practicewise | Online community for mental health professionals with access to trainings, articles, and other resources
- PsyberGuide | A nonprofit organization that discovers and reviews mental health apps, which are rated as unacceptable, questionable, or acceptable. You can also search target conditions and treatments. Use this site to make recommendations to your clients.
- PsychCentral | Articles, news, blogs, forums, interactive quizzes, and more
- Self-Care Starter Kit from University at Buffalo School of Social Work | Designed to prevent/treat burnout, this kit includes info on vicarious trauma, assessments, meditations, and helpful links to additional self-care resources
- Simply Psychology | Study guides for psychology students
- SMI Adviser | Search topics and find resources for SMI. You can also access a variety of free online courses to earn CE credits.
- Social Work Helper | Mental health articles and resources
- Society for Adolescent Health: Mental Health (ADOLESCENT AND YOUNG ADULT CLINICAL CARE RESOURCES) | Toolkits, apps, guides, manuals, videos, reports, and more
- Society for the Advancement of Psychotherapy | Articles, book reviews, and more on relevant topics
- Society of Clinical Psychology (Division 12) | A division of the American Psychological Association, this site provides an up-to-date list of evidence-based treatments, and includes links to free assessments, manuals, handouts, etc. for many of the treatments
- TherapyAdvisor.org | A searchable database of empirically supported treatments for SUD and MH
- Therapy Worksheets | A blog by Will Baum, LCSW, with links to free therapy worksheets
Handouts & Worksheets
- CBT for Psychosis & Trauma & Psychosis Handouts | A short list of helpful handouts; this site is also a source for blog posts on psychosis and trauma (by Ron Unger, LCSW)
- Centre for Clinical Interventions | Free downloadable workbooks on anxiety, self-esteem, eating disorders, panic, perfectionism, and more
- Kim’s Counseling Corner – Therapy and Self-Help Worksheets | Kim Peterson, LPC-S, specializes in child and teen issues, parenthood, play therapy and relationships. She provides links to online worksheets or PDF versions that she has collected over time as a therapist. Topics include abuse, depression, anxiety, self-harm, and more.
- Marriage Intelligence: “Love Tools” | Free downloadable worksheets for surviving infidelity, forgiveness, communication, etc.
- Mind Tools | Free management, leadership, and personal effectiveness worksheets and tools. (Join the Mind Tools Club for a fee to access additional tools and online courses.)
- Oxford Clinical Psychology: Forms and Worksheets | A vast collection of forms, handouts, and assessments on anxiety, OCD, depression, parenting, substance use, and more
- Psychology Tools | Psychology Tools is a leading online resource for therapists. Download free worksheets, assessments, and guides.
- PsychPoint | Articles and worksheets
- Therapist Aid | An extensive collection of free evidence-based education and therapy tools. Download customizable worksheets or access articles and treatment guides. An invaluable resource for therapists.
- Ultimate Solution Handouts | Free printable handouts for therapists (from Judith Belmont)
- UW Medicine: Harborview Medical Center (Center for Sexual Assault and Traumatic Stress) | Handouts/worksheets for clients on coping with challenging thoughts, anxiety, anger, etc. The site also includes a list of assessments.
- For additional resource sites, see Sites with Free Worksheets & Handouts.
- For free resources posted on this site, click here.
social media Groups & Forums
- Continuing Ed Collective (Facebook)
- Counseling Psychology (Reddit)
- Marriage & Family Therapists (Facebook)
- Professional Mental Health Counselors, Social Workers, & Psychologists (Facebook)
- Psychology (Reddit)
- Psychotherapy: A Place for Therapists (Reddit)
- A Spot for Social Workers… (Reddit)
- Therapist Toolbox (Facebook)
- Training Resource Group for Mental Health Professionals (Facebook)